“We Proclaim Jesus Christ and Promote
Communities of Joy, Hope, Love and Peace”
Mobile Congregation International Headquarters
672 Azalea Road 1001 W. Walnut
Mobile, AL 36609 Independence, MO 64050
Congregation Pastoral Team
Pastor: Tim Hogue, 817/319-2574 (call or text), email@example.com
Sheila Steiner, 510-0485, firstname.lastname@example.org
John Parker, 391-8553, email@example.com
Shannon Stringer, 421-0934, firstname.lastname@example.org
September 24, 2017
Prelude Elder Anne Rose
Welcome & Call to Worship Evangelist George Farnell
Enduring Principles: Grace and Generosity is the first of the articulated principles in the Community of Christ.
• God’s grace, especially as revealed in Jesus Christ, is generous and unconditional.
• Having received God’s generous grace, we respond generously and graciously receive the generosity of others.
• We offer all we are and have to God’s purposes as revealed in Jesus Christ.
• We generously share our witness, resources, ministries, and sacraments according to our true capacity.
*Hymn of Gathering “Praise with Joy the World’s Creator” CCS 57
*Prayer of Praise and Invocation Al Louis Starr
*Response Anne Rose
Disciples’ Generous Response Seventy Roger Rose
Blessing & Receiving of Tithes and Offerings
Shared Prayer for Peace “Put Peace into Each Other’s Hands” CCS 309
Sermon Bishop Stancil Wilson
*Hymn of Generosity “Take My Life and Let It Be” CCS 608
*Benediction Elder Jean Goff
*Response Anne Rose
*Postlude Anne Rose
* Denotes congregation is invited to stand when directed or to remain standing.
“CCS” Denotes “Community of Christ Sings,” the blue hymn book.
Deacon in Charge Jeremy Wilson
WHAT’S COMING UP
3:00 p.m. Wedding Shower for Crosby Saxon
2. Next Sunday, October 1
9:30 a.m. Everyone gather in the Fellowship room to meet & greet.
9:45 – 10:35 a.m. Congregation prayer meeting in the Fellowship room.
Presiding: David Gross, Jr.
10:50 – 11:00 a.m. Announcements
11:00 – Noon Worship Service: “Be Receptive to God’s Will”
Presiding: George Farnell
Speaking: Lori Phinney
Deacon in Charge: Mary Oaks
Accompanist: Sheila Steiner
3. Sunday, October 8
9:30a.m. Everyone gather in Fellowship room for meet & greet and a devotion.
9:45 – 10:35a.m. Adult Sunday school classes
10:50 – 11:00 a.m. Announcements
11:00– Noon Worship Service: “Jesus, The Cornerstone”
Presiding: Dick Barbour
Speaking: Stancil Wilson
Deacon in Charge: Donnie Startz
Accompanist: Anne Rose
1. The Women’s Department will host a wedding shower for Crosby Saxon (Gail Peavy’s granddaughter) TODAY at 3:00 pm. Crosby is registered at Bed Bath & Beyond. We hope all the ladies can attend!
2. Please join us for a SURPRISE 70th birthday reception for Martee Gibson immediately after church next Sunday, October 1 in the ROC given by her family. Remember, it’s a surprise!
3. A unique event occurred in the life of the church this week. On September 18, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints purchased the Printer’s Manuscript of the Book of Mormon from Community of Christ in Independence, Missouri. The sale price of $35 million was provided by generous donors. The manuscript has been owned by Community of Christ since 1903. For more information go to one or both of these websites:
CHURCH CLEANING SCHEDULE
Week Cleaning Crew
Sept 24 – Sept 30 Tim & Debbie Lynn, Anne & Roger Rose
Oct 1 – Oct 7 Annie Mae & Charles Presley, Doris & Donnie Startz
Oct 8 – Oct 14 Michele, Rick, Ricky & Matthew Griffin
Oct 15 – Oct 21 Peggy Clements, Helen Carty, Beth Johnston, Phyllis Wilson
RETREATS, CAMPS, REUNIONS, SPECIAL EVENTS
1. Bluff Springs Schedule
November: 3-5 Women’s Retreat
1. We post videos of our Sunday 11:00 a.m. worship services at www.cofchristmobile.com.
2. We’re on Facebook—search for “Community of Christ Church Mobile.”
3. David Gross, Jr. can make you a very nice church logo name badge if you want. Ask him for one via email at email@example.com.
4. For all activities, please turn cell phones off or to vibrate-only. Thanks!
5. Joe Bracewell is available for hospital ministry. (344 – 6137)
REGULARLY SCHEDULED ACTIVITIES
a. 1st Sunday of each month:
9:30 a.m. Everyone gather in the Fellowship Room to meet & greet.
9:45–10:35 Congregation prayer meeting in the Fellowship Room.
11:00–Noon Main worship service in the sanctuary. Service includes the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper (Communion).
b. Other Sundays each month:
9:30 a.m.– Everyone gather in fellowship room to meet & greet.
9:45 – 10:35 Adult Sunday school class (no children’s classes through the summer. They will resume Aug. 20)
10:50 – 11:00, Announcements
11:00 – Noon, Main worship service in the sanctuary.
2. TUESDAY (August through May only)
6:00 – 7:00 p.m., Cub Scout Pack 12 meets in the ROC.
7:00 – 8:30 p.m., Boy Scout Troop 12 meets in the ROC.
3. WEDNESDAY (3rd Wednesday of each month September–May only)
6:30 – 8:00 p.m., “Family Night” in the ROC—a relaxed evening of food, fellowship and fun.
4. THURSDAY (2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month Sept–June only)
6:30 p.m., Bible Study Group at Sonny & Jean Goff’s home.
a. 3rd Saturday of each month (sometimes 4th Sat.):
8:00 a.m. – Noon, Food Pantry Food Distribution day in the ROC
Oct 21 Nov 18 Dec 16
b. 3rd Saturday of each month (August-May only):
Noon – 3:00 p.m. in the ROC (immediately following Food Pantry Distribution), “Solid Rock,” Middle School/Senior High youth get-together (includes lunch!).
Seniors luncheons (age 50 or so +) — watch for dates/times/places in the “What’s Coming Up” part of the bulletin.
“Bear one another’s burdens and so fulfill the
law of Christ.” Galatians 6:2
Family of Jamie Parker (cousin of John Parker who died unexpectedly)
Susan Sheppard (co-worker of Tim Lynn/David Gross, sudden death of her father)
Don Booker (cousin of Jerri McManus, back problems and mostly bed ridden)
Charlene Booker (Don’s wife, upcoming shoulder surgery)
Shirley Daniels (cousin of Jerri McManus, blood clots in leg)
Lyn Baldwin (niece of Jerri McManus, kidney stones and kidney infection)
Albert McManus III (psoriatic arthritis)
Kathryn Baldwin (sister of Jerri McManus, had a slight stroke Wednesday)
Brenda Daugherty’s daughter, Caroline, and son-in-law, Ryan (had to evacuate due to flooding in Houston area)
Dorothy Overstreet family
Bobbie Bailey (friend of Shiree Humphreys, lost son Caleb in auto accident)
The President of our country
David Gazzier (health concerns)
Brian Clark (has been reported missing, brother-in-law of Rochelle Pitts’ friend)
Linda Scott (lung cancer, friend of Shannon Stringer)
Elizabeth Barbour (recovering from a stroke)
The law enforcement officers of our community
Donna McCauley (Allen Memorial Home, Room 2017)
NOTE: Prayer requests will remain on the prayer list for one month and will be deleted unless we are notified otherwise. Please call Debbie Lynn, 251-604-2890, to add or delete names. You can also email Debbie: firstname.lastname@example.org